New court date for former cadet volunteer charged with child luring

by | Jan 19, 2024

Woodstock man given third adjournment

Jason Kuhndel, a former cadet and civilian volunteer with the #318 Woodstock Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corp, is charged with making sexually explicit material available to a minor with intent to create child pornography, as well as child luring with intent to commit a child pornography offence on Nov. 7, 2023. The offences are alleged to have taken place in Fredericton between Jan. 1 and March 30, 2023. A publication ban protects the identity of the victim.

Kuhndel, 19, was expected to enter a plea in Fredericton Provincial Court on Thursday, Jan. 18, but was not present. Instead, his lawyer, Patrick Hurley, requested another adjournment for his client, stating they were “negotiating” with the prosecution.

Previously, Hurley had requested an adjournment on Kuhndel’s behalf while waiting to review crown disclosure documents on Dec. 6 and Dec. 27, 2023. Hurley confirmed that they had received those documents.

Kuhndel was previously still working with the #318 Cadet Corp for several weeks after the initial charges were filed.

On Dec. 18, 2023, Jordan Elliot, Public Affairs Officer of the Regional Cadet Support Unit, the division of the Canadian Forces that manages the cadet program for Atlantic Canada, said Kuhndel was “removed from his duties as soon as we were notified,” adding they were notified of the situation by Alicea Richards, Commanding Officer of the #318 Cadet Corp the same day, shortly after the River Valley Sun contacted Richards about the charges. 

Major Victor Belleville, the Commanding Officer for New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island cadets told the River Valley Sun that it is the “individual’s responsibility to notify their chain of command of any criminal charges laid against them.”

Belleville also stated that “the delay in unit staff and headquarters being notified is concerning” and that they’ll address the delays with the cadet corp, squadron staff, and volunteers to prevent this issue in the future.

Kuhndel is expected back in Fredericton court on Feb. 6, 2024, at 9:30 a.m.

(with files from Theresa Blackburn and Jim Dumville)

For road conditions, click the map

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have successfully subscribed! A confirmation email has been sent to your email account. To complete your subscription, open the email and click on the confirmation link. (If you can't find it in your inbox, try your junk and spam folders.) If you'd like to receive our updates more than once a week, please click the "Manage your subscription" link at the bottom of your Newsletter.