Woodstock Provincial Court: Grand Falls man sentenced to five months

by | Jun 25, 2024

Five months in jail for leaving accident scene

A Grand Falls man was sentenced to five months in jail for leaving the scene of an accident that left his victim lying on the road with serious injuries.

Amedee Clement, 63, pleaded guilty to reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident on the Tobique Narrows Dam on June 8, 2023.

On June 25, Associate Chief Judge Brian C. McLean also placed him on 12 months of probation and prohibited him from driving for two years. He must have no contact with the victim.

The court heard Clement was driving his truck over the dam when the vehicle swerved into the oncoming lane and struck a man driving a motorcycle. Clement drove on without stopping. The man suffered multiple injuries and was hospitalized for weeks.

Clement told police he did not know what he hit at the time or that a person was involved. A passenger in his truck did see the motorcycle just before the collision.

Another witness said it looked like Clement deliberately caused the accident. Clement had just left the casino at Tobique and had been drinking and smoking marijuana.

“He had an obligation to stop to make sure it was not a person,” said Judge McLean. “The consequences for leaving the scene are worse than staying. The penalty must be significant.”

McLean noted the victim suffered “horrible injuries that could have been fatal.”

Police were able to track down Clement’s truck from a broken mirror found on the road over the dam. He had a dated prior criminal record.

120 days in jail or time served

Jordan Ronald Broad, 29, of Florenceville-Bristol, appeared in provincial court on June 25 and was sentenced to 120 days in jail or time served on several charges laid by the RCMP. He was also placed on probation for 12 months.

Associate Chief Judge Brian C. McLean ordered Broad to register with the federal DNA database and recommended he seek counselling for anger management and intimate partner violence. He was also prohibited from using firearms for five years.

Broad pleaded guilty to uttering threats and assault involving a female victim during a domestic dispute on Oct. 8, 2023, at Florenceville-Bristol. The crown withdrew another charge of assault by choking.

He also pleaded guilty to assaulting his father with a weapon (a candleholder) and committing mischief causing property damage to a residence in a separate incident on Jan. 6 at Florenceville-Bristol. The crown withdrew another charge of breach of an undertaking.

Broad also pleaded guilty to breaching his release by violating a no-contact order at Florenceville-Bristol between Feb. 14 and Feb. 21.

He appeared in court for a bail hearing on Feb. 28 and was remanded to jail. He spent several months in custody before being released with conditions in May. He had a minimal prior criminal record that included one previous conviction for domestic violence.

Sentencing adjourned for Cloverdale man

A Cloverdale man was expected to receive a federal prison term on June 24 for shooting at a police officer. His sentencing was adjourned until Aug. 2 at 1:30 p.m. at the request of his defence counsel.

Wyatt DeLong, 28, pleaded guilty to discharging a firearm with intent at a police officer, flight from police, dangerous driving, and indictable breach of probation in connection with an incident on July 14, 2023, at Florenceville-Bristol. DeLong has been in custody since his arrest.

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, a conviction for discharging a firearm with intent (to endanger the life or safety of another person) carries a potential prison sentence of five years for a first offence.

A co-accused, Janis Buchanan, 28, of Perth-Andover, appeared in provincial court in custody by video in September 2023 and pleaded guilty to robbery with violence for an incident on May 29, 2023, at Florenceville-Bristol. She was sentenced to two years in federal prison.

RCMP arrested DeLong and Buchanan after a manhunt in Victoria County following a series of incidents in the upper River Valley.

Bairdsville man facing seven charges

Regis Bowmaster, 30, of Bairdsville, appeared in provincial court on June 25 to answer seven charges laid by RCMP. The matter was adjourned for plea until July 16 at 9:30 a.m. at the request of his defence counsel.

Bowmaster was charged with possessing a stolen vehicle and resisting arrest concerning an incident on Jan. 4 at Bairdsville. He was also charged with possession of a prohibited weapon (a sawed-off shotgun), improper storage of a firearm, possession of a stolen ATV, and being an occupant of a vehicle, knowing it carried a firearm for another incident on May 27 at Perth Andover.

Bowmaster appeared in court in custody on May 30 for a bail hearing and was released with conditions, including wearing an electronic monitoring device attached to his ankle. He was arrested on a warrant and charged with breaching a release order by failing to appear in court on Feb. 13.

Arthurette man released with conditions

Johnny Bloodsworth, 39, of Arthurette, appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 25 for a bail hearing and was released with conditions. He returns to court on July 23 at 9:30 a.m. for plea on charges laid by RCMP.

Bloodsworth will follow a curfew and reside at a residence in Grand Falls. He was charged with sexual assault, two counts of touching a minor for a sexual purpose, and uttering threats in connection with an incident between April 1, 2023 and Sept. 1, 2023, at Arthurette.

Bloodsworth also faces firearm charges for a separate incident on June 14 at Arthurette, including possession of multiple shotguns and rifles without a licence, possession of a prohibited firearm with ready ammunition, and possession of several restricted firearms without a licence.

Upper Woodstock man charged

Andrew Joseph Weeks, 40, of Upper Woodstock, will appear in provincial court on July 16 at 9:30 a.m. for plea on one charge laid by Woodstock Police.

Weeks was charged with uttering a forged document (an Alberta operator’s licence) in his name as if it was genuine concerning an incident on Dec. 11, 2023, in Woodstock. He made his first court appearance on June 18, when the matter was adjourned to the new date.

Charged with impaired driving

Craig McKeen Cluff, 29, of Grafton, will appear in provincial court on July 16 at 9:30 a.m. for plea on an impaired driving charge.

Woodstock Police charged Cluff following an incident on Feb. 18 in Woodstock. He made his first court appearance on June 18, when the matter was adjourned to the new date.

Caught with counterfeit money

Mason Jacob Sullivan, 25, of Woodstock, will appear in provincial court on July 16 at 9:30 a.m. for plea on one charge laid by Woodstock Police.

Sullivan was charged with using counterfeit money concerning an incident on Jan. 16 in Woodstock. The charge alleges that two $100-dollar bills and one $20-dollar bill were passed as if they were genuine. Sullivan made his first court appearance on June 18, when the matter was adjourned to the new date.

Juniper man to stand trial

John Eric Somerville, 36, of Juniper, appeared in provincial court on June 25 and pleaded not guilty to five charges laid by RCMP. His trial date was set for June 25, 2025, at 9:30 a.m. A monitoring date was also scheduled for Oct. 8 at 9:30 a.m.

Somerville appeared in court in custody by video on May 27 and was released with conditions, including a curfew.

RCMP charged him with uttering threats, mischief causing property damage, and assault with a weapon (a hammer) involving a male victim on April 28 in Juniper. He is also facing charges of breaching a no-contact order and uttering threats on May 26 at Juniper. He was arrested and jailed until his court appearance the next day.

Arthurette man to enter plea

Nicholas William Sutthery, 40, of Arthurette, will appear in provincial court for plea on July 16 at 9:30 a.m. on a charge of having stolen property.

Sutthery was charged by the RCMP with possession of a stolen truck in connection with an incident between Jan. 1 and 11 at Carlingford. He appeared in court on June 25 and was released on conditions until his next court appearance.

Neqotkuk man has three trial dates

Jordan Perley, 35, of Neqotkuk (Tobique First Nation), appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 25 and pleaded not guilty to all charges laid against him by RCMP. His trial dates were set for July 26 at 9:30 a.m., Aug. 22 at 9:30 a.m., and Oct. 11 at 9:30 a.m.

Perley appeared in court in custody by video on June 20 for a bail hearing and was denied bail. He was charged with two counts of breaking into a dwelling house, mischief causing property damage, uttering threats, three counts of assault, and resisting arrest concerning an incident on May 17 at Neqotkuk.

He appeared in court in custody on May 8 and was released with conditions after being arrested on a warrant for failing to appear in court in April. He was re-arrested on the new charges and remanded.

Perley was also charged by RCMP with two other counts of attempted break-in at a dwelling house and two counts of mischief causing property damage on Jan. 1 at Neqotkuk; attempted break-in at a dwelling house, mischief, possession of a prohibited weapon (a butterfly knife), and possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace on March 18 at Neqotkuk. He was also charged with failing to appear in court on April 9.

Sentenced postponed

John Long, 34, of Woodstock, appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 24 for sentencing on one charge laid by Woodstock Police. At the request of his defence counsel, the sentencing was adjourned until Aug. 2 at 1:30 p.m.

Long appeared in court on Jan. 12 for a bail hearing and was remanded to jail.

He was charged with two counts of breaching a release order and breach of probation concerning a Jan. 5 incident in Woodstock.

He changed his plea to guilty to one charge of breaching his release order by violating electronic monitoring (ankle bracelet), and the crown withdrew the other two charges. The court heard that one other charge is being transferred from Edmundston.

Wostak man gets trial date       

Greg McCormick, 35, of Wostak (Woodstock First Nation), appeared in provincial court on June 25 and pleaded not guilty to charges laid by RCMP. His trial date was set for June 23, 2025, at 9:30 a.m.

McCormick was charged with two counts of mischief causing property damage (a window and a vehicle) and indictable arson involving a vehicle in connection with an incident on July 16, 2023, at Wostak.

He appeared in provincial court on April 23 and pleaded not guilty to two other charges laid by RCMP. His trial date was set for May 2, 2025, at 9:30 a.m.

McCormick was charged with assaulting another man while carrying a weapon (a knife) and uttering threats following an incident on Feb. 15 at Wostak. He was arrested and later released on a release order.

Six weeks added to conditional sentence

Levi Davenport, 37, of Beechwood, appeared in provincial court in custody on June 25 on a charge of breaching his conditional sentence order. The RCMP charged him after he failed to respond to a curfew check on May 1.

Davenport told the court he was home sleeping and didn’t hear the police come to the door. He works full-time, and it was late when the police arrived. He was arrested on a warrant after turning himself in to the authorities.

Associate Chief Judge Brian C. McLean added six weeks to his conditional sentence order as a result. Davenport received a six-month conditional sentence and a $200 fine when he appeared in provincial court on April 2.

Davenport was charged with break-and-enter, theft at a garage, and breach of probation in an incident on March 17, 2023, in Beechwood. He pleaded guilty on both counts. Davenport had a prior criminal record.

Hartland woman awaiting plea

Carla Lynn Shaw, 56, of Hartland, will appear in provincial court on July 9 at 9:30 a.m. for plea on charges laid by RCMP.

Shaw was charged with impaired driving and committing mischief causing property damage to a vehicle in connection with an incident on March 9 near Hartland. She appeared in court on June 25 when the matter was adjourned to the new date. She told the court she had secured legal counsel.

Returning for plea

Shawn Sullivan, 38, of Perth-Andover, appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 25 for plea on two charges laid by RCMP. The matter was adjourned until July 16 at 9:30 a.m. at the request of his defence counsel.

RCMP charged Sullivan with breaching a peace bond and uttering threats concerning an incident on April 27 at Gladwyn. The court heard he was currently in custody in Fredericton on other matters.

Sullivan appeared in provincial court in custody by video on May 9 for a bail hearing and was released with conditions including wearing an electronic monitoring device attached to his ankle. He was residing at a homeless shelter in Fredericton but told the court on June 11 that he was moving to Plaster Rock once he was released from jail.

In custody on new charges

Mitchell Sutthery, 38, of Arthurette, appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 20 for plea on three charges laid by RCMP. The matter was adjourned until July 11 at 1:30 p.m. at the request of his defence counsel.

Sutthery appeared in court in custody on May 27 and waived his bail until later. He was arrested on May 24 and charged with breach of a conditional sentence order, resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer, and breach of probation. The court heard the breach of a conditional sentence order was a new charge, alleged to have occurred for a second time.

Arrest warrant issued for Johnville man

The court issued an arrest warrant for Ryan Troy O’Donnell, 27, of Johnville, on June 25. The court heard O’Donnell had allegedly removed his ankle bracelet a few days after being released from jail.

O’Donnell appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 12 for bail hearing. After spending several months in custody, he was released with conditions, including wearing an electronic monitoring device attached to his ankle. He was ordered to follow a curfew and reside at a Woodstock residence.

O’Donnell was scheduled to return for plea on June 26 at 9:30 a.m. on two charges of possession of stolen property (cheques) on Dec. 16, 2023, in Beechwood, and mischief causing property damage on Feb. 15. The charges were laid by RCMP. The court heard he is also facing other charges in Edmundston and Moncton.

On April 11, he was in custody by video to answer a sex charge laid by RCMP. He pleaded not guilty, and a trial date was set for June 26 at 9:30 a.m. He was charged with sexual assault in connection with an incident in Beechwood between Sept. 1 and Sept. 30, 2021.

O’Donnell appeared in provincial court in custody on Feb. 23 for a bail hearing and waived his bail until later. He was charged by RCMP with breach of a release order on Feb. 15 and held in custody.

He also appeared in provincial court in custody on Jan. 24 for a bail hearing. He was released with conditions, including wearing an electronic monitoring device attached to his ankle, but was brought back into custody.

O’Donnell was charged by RCMP with assault involving a female victim, uttering threats, and breach of probation concerning an incident on Jan. 25 near Johnville.

He has a prior criminal record.

In custody on multiple charges

Kyle Lucas Stairs, 25, of Temperance Vale, appeared in provincial court in custody by video on June 25 to answer charges laid by RCMP. He returns to court in custody for plea on July 16 at 9:30 a.m.

Stairs was charged with possessing a stolen vehicle and theft of fuel concerning an incident on April 5 at Perth-Andover. He also has several other charges before the court.

 On June 25, Defence Counsel Alex Carleton told the court he was working on a resolution with the crown.

Stairs appeared in court in custody by video on April 11 and was remanded. The RCMP charged him with possession of methamphetamine, possession of a stolen vehicle, possession of a prohibited weapon (brass knuckles), possession of a weapon while prohibited from having it, resisting arrest, mischief causing property damage to a police vehicle, and breach of probation concerning an incident on April 8 in Nackawic.

Woodstock Police also charged him with flight from police, dangerous driving, driving while suspended, and breach of probation for an incident on April 8 in Woodstock. He also faces an additional charge of failing to report to probation between Dec. 5 and Dec. 8, 2023, in Woodstock.

Sentencing adjourned, accused in hospital

Rhonda Perley, 59, of Neqotkuk (Tobique First Nation), was scheduled for sentencing in provincial court on June 25 when the matter was adjourned because she was in the hospital following a motor vehicle accident.

Perley pleaded guilty to trafficking in cocaine for an incident on Feb. 27, 2020, at Neqotkuk. Her sentencing was rescheduled for Aug. 27 at 1:30 p.m. A warrant is being held on file until her next court appearance.

A co-accused, Jeffrey Phillips, 60, of Neqotkuk, was sentenced to two years in federal prison for drug trafficking when he appeared in provincial court on April 3.

Phillips pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking for an incident on Feb. 28, 2020, at Neqotkuk. The crown withdrew two other charges. Phillips had a prior criminal record for drug possession.

RCMP charged them after undercover police officers purchased cocaine from them at their home in Neqotkuk. The crown said the officers dealt with Phillips to make the purchase, but Perley was inside the house and aware of what was happening. Perley also talked to the officers about the deal and possible future deals.

Drug trafficking charges stayed

Jacob Perley, 32, of Neqotkuk, appeared in provincial court in custody on June 24 to continue his trial on drug trafficking charges. The charges were stayed by the crown due to a disclosure issue, which means the matter will not proceed.

Perley was charged with possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking, production of cocaine, unlawful possession of ketamine (a date rape drug), possession of methamphetamine, obstruction, and breach of an undertaking in connection with an incident on Aug. 26, 2022, at Neqotkuk. He pleaded not guilty.

Perley also appeared in provincial on March 12 to set a date for his trial on fraud charges laid by RCMP. His trial was set for Jan. 22-23, 2025, at 9:30 a.m.

Perley was charged with possessing forged documents (cheques) and defrauding the band office of over $5,000 between June 13 and Oct. 6, 2023, at Neqotkuk. He pleaded not guilty at a court appearance on Feb. 2.

He is also in custody on 16 other charges related to an alleged kidnapping with violence on April 27-28 at Neqotkuk.

FOREST FIRE INDEX – click image for current status

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have successfully subscribed! A confirmation email has been sent to your email account. To complete your subscription, open the email and click on the confirmation link. (If you can't find it in your inbox, try your junk and spam folders.) If you'd like to receive our updates more than once a week, please click the "Manage your subscription" link at the bottom of your Newsletter.